Sunday, November 27, 2011

One of my FAVORITE Characters

Now it's no surprise that I'm a huge nerd. That's a given. Love it, I wave the flag and everything. So for me the biggest deal in the world was surprisingly a video game. I was always a big fan of movies, so when I heard of the practically playable movie Mass Effect by BioWare, I really became interested.

Now here's the story. I picked up the game back in like... 2009 from a gamestop because I was buying my brother a present and I had about fifteen bucks left over. Mass Effect came out in like... what, 2007? So I bought it for 14.99 and took it home. Apparently the storyline is your character, Shepard, is a human who is sent to acquire a signal-emitting beacon from a planet that is built by an ancient alien race. You get there and of course things go horribly wrong which sets you up for a massive adventure along with a bunch of alien and human companions racing to fight against an evil race of sentient machines coming to harvest all life from the galaxy. It's a great game. And lucky enough for me as soon as I got it the second one came out. I didn't even know it was out. But my mother came home and surprised us with ME2 due to an upcoming blizzard (she thought we'd be bored) and it indeed snowed its ass off. So I finished the game in four days since I couldn't even go outside. She didn't even know that I liked the series. She just judged the game's awesomeness based on a quick commercial.

Now the first was amazing, the second blows everything out of the water. I loved the second one in every way. Not to mention that many of my favorite actors/actresses like Tricia Helfer (EDI) and the lovely Yvonne Strahovski are both in the game. Anyway I was hooked. The characters were deep and I loved each and every one of them. Garrus is my bro, love Miranda, Samara, Grunt, Jacob, Zaeed and more. Hell Legion was hilarious. Totally blew that stereotype robot pet peeve I had out the window.

But there was one character that I could not live without. And crime against crimes, she wasn't even in the original game! You had to order her after the game came out. But she quickly became my love. My favorite character yet, voiced by the magnificent Kym Hoy, is none other than the stealthy space infiltrator...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4HsvEOlNAo



Kasumi.


Kasumi Goto is a tactical stealth master and expert thief. She can cloak and disappear in the blink of an eye and is a master at all things technical. She is one of Shepard's companions drafted by the shadow organization Cerberus to help him on his Suicide Mission to take down these aliens. Now the story behind her is she has a surgical implant called a gray box. Or grey box, I forgot how to spell it. A weapons smuggler named Hock had killed her partner in order to get his gray box and Kasumi was heartbroken. She petitions for help to get her boyfriend, Keiji's gray box away from Hock. Since Cerberus already wants her help, she strikes a deal. Shepard helps her get the gray box back and then she helps him with his mission.

Now you think a silent and stealthy thief would be quiet, serious, zen, right? Wrong. Kasumi is hilarious. She's light hearted, funny and oh so unpredictable. Truthfully her thrill-seeking lifestyle has given her quite the romantic and "take risks" kind of viewpoint. She's the kind of person whose opinions are so hard to disagree with, mainly because she ends up being right even without saying that someone else is wrong. I was very surprised when this attitude came from her. I really enjoyed this character because it just shows that even someone with such a mysterious backstory can still be so exciting. She has a third dimension added to her character based on how she treats other people. She's kind, but she knows not to get shit on. Her head is in the right place and she's very stabilizing. I wanted to take her everywhere in my game. Hell, I did take her everywhere.

Anyway she's a good inspiration on what a character is about. And it's a good inspiration on what good voice acting can lead to as well, so major props to Kym on a job well done really capturing Kasumi's personality. It's safe to say that my characters all stemmed from Kasumi's inspiration as a whole really. She was a major inspiration for this book. I hope that maybe I can write stories and create characters that are half as good as Ms. Goto...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVWXxSOlPKY&feature=related

Kasumi is indeed an optimist.

No comments:

Post a Comment